Saturday 23 February 2013

Inspiration and Influence


I read Reunion. And I finally saw how inspirational John Cheever is, because my immediate response to the text was “I want to write a story like that.” Despite studying his work for six weeks (and enjoying doing so), it was only when I read this particular one that I understood his mastery over the short story. In a mere four pages, Cheever unearths so many complex questions of family, human decency and goodwill to all men. I found myself savouring the final sentence.
            One writer I find myself constantly inspired by is Candace Bushnell, author of (amongst many other brilliant books) Sex and the City. Please let it be known right from the off that I am addressing the book, not the successful television show. Whilst that is to be appreciated for its own charm, it shows very little about the perceptive comments Bushnell makes on human behaviour and gender politics within the book. Being inspired leads to aspiring. It is my dream to write a novel that is so comically accurate and philosophically probing as Sex and the City.
            I’m aware of seeking inspiration and the previous influences that emerge almost subconsciously in my creative work. It does make me stop and think about how much influence I am returning to the writing world and if I might be providing inspiration to others without even recognising it.
            One can dream; an idea encourage by my degree, but they are already preaching to the converted. 

6 comments:

  1. I like this post as it is very personal and passionate. It's very simple and doesn't appear to be overthinking anything, it's great to see how something has inspired you to be so passionate about writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very good post. There is a lot of thought put into it and you make some excellent points

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about Reunion, it's a very skilful short story. It's great that you give an example, of Sex and the City, as something you want to aspire to. Inspiration and aspiration can often be linked, if you can find the link, and you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this post! The idea of eventually inspiring other writers is definitely an excellent thing to aim for, I know I'd feel proud if I ever managed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im in the hope that i can inspire others to but never really thought about it you get caught up being the student you do think you could obe day be the teacher. Really like this angle

    ReplyDelete